A simple blog about food, cooking, family, friends and the fun of ultra running. From the eyes of Chef Bill Bailey.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Columbus 1/2 Marathon April 14, 2007


Today the Columbus 1/2 Marathon...I had to get up and start my day at 5:10Am. I had a 2 hour drive ahead of me before my 2 hour run. I had Nick pick up my packet/bib number the night before the race. He and his family stayed the night, so I met him at his hotel, then we walked a few blocks to the start.
Weather wise, they were calling for AM rain/snow, wind and temps in the mid 30's. So I brought my shorts, long tech shirt, short tech shirt, and long running pants. I brought a jacket to wear before and after the race. I could have ran with my shorts, but I ran with the pants, long tech & short tech shirts.
This was the Kids Fun Run.
Here's one of the mascots finishing the race (His shirt says "Eat more chicken.")

Our race started at 9:00am I was going to start with Nick but had to find a dumpster to pee on. After I got back, the race was getting started. The start/finish was the Nationwide Arena district. Very cool place there are tons of restaurants, nightclubs and the arena is home to the NHL Columbus Bluejackets Hockey team. Our run took us through Short North Art's District, German Village and the Ohio State Campus.
We ran around the OSU Stadium I had to get a picture, but I didn't want to stop running, so I did both. I took these pictures while running.
The Runners

The OSU Band
I felt great running, It started to rain and get windy at mile 6. I picked up my pace and race hard at miles 8, 10 and 12. I thought I would make my 1:50 goal, but my time was 1:52:41 MY NEW PR. Last years (my first 1/2 marathon) 1/2 marathon time was 1:54:29.
Official Results of the Race

No comments: