A simple blog about food, cooking, family, friends and the fun of ultra running. From the eyes of Chef Bill Bailey.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Night Crawlers

Wed. Aug. 15, 2007
We're at it again Wednesday Night Night Crawlers....
If you've been following my blog you know the story, if your new to reading my blog here's the scoop...it started with Nick, Brett, Melissa and myself. We all have busy family lives and were trying to come up with a creative way to run & enjoy our time with our families without the nagging running commits from the spouse. We started a late night trail run that meets at 9:00pm (after the kids are put to bed). We usually meet at Lock 29 and run for about 1 1/2 hours.
Tonight's Night Crawlers were Chef Bill (ME), Melissa & Beth. Nick is in road running mode...He is training for the Akron Marathon and is focused on road running, no trails until after the marathon. Brett is sweating his butt off in South Carolina...On Vacation. Our evening started with a dome light problem in Beth's truck. After closing the door the dome light stayed on. I had to jimmy the switch to turn off the light. When Melissa arrived she was cursing her father for cleaning out her car and misplacing her headlamp. 3 runners two headlamps, no problem we've accomplished this before (RIGHT NICK!! Nick forgot his lamp on a previous night run.)
We ran our familiar 8 mile Pine Lane Loop. No watch, no GPS, just the moon and some freaking thing moving in the woods that scared the crap out of me. I couldn't see what is was but it sounded big and flappy, it must of had wings. This is something I'll never get use too. Things moving in the night. I've had bats fly into my lamp, deer peering at me with their illuminating eyes. I'm still waiting for the guy with an axe & a six pack of Bud Light. Now that I've planted the seed; I'll be looking for a guy or girl with an axe, maybe one beer or better yet, a New Balance water bottle, wearing a pair of Montrails and a Vertical Runner Tech-T.
Beth's training for her first 50 miler in Michigan. Her goal tonight was to blaze up all the hills we encountered. Melissa is training for the Akron Marathon.
My guess is we ran our 1 1/2 hours and we covered our 8 miles. Look for more up coming Night Crawler Trail Runs if you want to join us e-mail me chefbill@playingwithknivesandfire.com

No comments: