A simple blog about food, cooking, family, friends and the fun of ultra running. From the eyes of Chef Bill Bailey.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Where to Start

Boy I'm never doing that again. My neglected blog has forced me to figure out where to start. Do I go all the way back to my last post (3 weeks ago) and post each day that I missed? or turn out one big post that summarized what I've done in the last 3 weeks? I'll settle for the summarized version.

3 weeks again I finally made an appointment to see Dr. Shah, He's a sports medicine doctor. I had rolled my ankle on a 20 mile trail run a few weeks before my 50K in Kentucky. I didn't want to see a doctor right away, one I thought I was running OK and my ankle would get better soon. Two I didn't want the doctor to tell me I couldn't run.

My ankle's OK, it was weak from not running on it properly because of it being sprained all this time. I can still run, I have to do some therapy to strengthen my ankle at Summa. The Doctor said not to take it easy running and not to run on trails for a while.

I've limited my weekday runs to two 5-6 miles on the roads and about 8 miles with the Sat AM group the day before the Cleveland Marathon.

Week 5/21 to 5/24 was the week from hell. I help out with a third shift catering out in Middlefield OH. Where is Middlefield you ask? Go out to the middle of nowhere and turn left and keep going, and going and... I worked 11pm to 5am then had to go home to take care of my kids during the day. No running this week. I only got in 3.5 miles around the track at the NAT.

So I've learned a lesson in blog writing...don't fall behind. It goes the same for training. Don't fall behind. I'm not sure if I could have ran any more the week I was working. I'll just have to pick up the pieces and crank up the mileage so I can make a difference at the Buckeye 50K.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I think I was in Middlefield. Is it over Youngstown way? I was lost myself.