A simple blog about food, cooking, family, friends and the fun of ultra running. From the eyes of Chef Bill Bailey.

Friday, September 25, 2009

AKRON MARATHON

The buzz at this years Akron Marathon, to me, has been different. Different in a good way. With the help of Facebook it has been more exciting. Even my non-running friends are on board this year. Wishing me luck, and commenting about the race. I love when they ask the infamous questions, "So how far is THIS marathon?" I've been nice, "This only is 26.2 miles."

My first Marathon was Akron and I dedicated the run to my wife Jen. She put up with my crazy training schedule, shelling out money for shoes, socks & other gear, and dragging the kids to the finish line to cheer me on. Since then I've dedicated a race to different people who have some meaning in my life. Last year is was my dog Sara who pasted away during one of my training runs on the blueline. I remember the call as if where yesterday. I was on over by the Polymer Building on the campus of AU, My wife asked, "Can you come home?" I race as fast as I could back to Canal Park were my car was park.

This year I'm dedicating my run to Charles D. Ledbetter. He is the father of my long time friends Rick & Wendy Ledbetter. Rick & I have been friends since the first grade. I lost touch with him for about 15-20 years then with the power of FACEBOOK I found him! I found out his father was dying and Rick had a chance to see and say goodbye one last time. Charles passed away about a month ago.
After Akron I will be training on the Perkins Trail loop gearing up for BILLS' BAD ASS 50K. I do have Columbus to run so I have to mix some roads into my training. I'll like to see if I can set a new PR at Columbus (current is 3:57 from Akron). The BAD ASS 50K I'll like to get close to 6 hours.
I just saw the Run For Regis winter 50K in ready. I'll run that for my Birthday (Tanya save me bib # 43).
I have one more secret plan up my sleeve for Feb. 2010. I'll keep you posted....

No comments: