A simple blog about food, cooking, family, friends and the fun of ultra running. From the eyes of Chef Bill Bailey.

Monday, March 15, 2010

TIME FLIES IN SLOW MOTION

I can’t believe my little princess is SEVEN!  Where did the time go? 
Sat afternoon, after Tori’s birthday party, I headed to Pine Hollow to retrace the FOOLS Run course. As I headed out I realized I didn’t really know the course or which way I should be going. So I just ran…I didn’t mind, I was finally on a trail, smiling, the music playing loud, and mud everywhere! I ended up with 11.46 miles. I wasn’t sure want I did wrong, it was all good it was getting late so I packed up my muddy shoes and headed home.
So are you a runner who’s trying to find time to fix a great meal while racking up the mileage? Dust of the slow cooker/crock pot. There’s nothing better than coming home from a training run to a hot cooked meal.
Slow cooker/crock pot cooking is quite simple. It’s all about planning. It can start in the morning or you can place all the ingredients in the pot and refrigerate overnight, then start the cooking in the morning. The recipes are endless.


• Place your favorite meat

• some veggies

• some potatoes, or beans or both in the pot

• Then add some water/stock

• seasonings or herbs

Then allow 4-12 hours of slow cooking. It’s that easy!

Here's a recipe for Beef Bourguignon







Ingredients

6 strips bacon, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
3 pounds beef rump, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons flour
10 ounces beef broth, can condensed
2 cups red or Burgundy wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon whole thyme
1 whole bay leaf
1/2 pound white onions, peeled
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
Directions
1.Sauté bacon in a skillet on stovetop set to medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside.
2.Add beef cubes to skillet and brown well. Remove meat and set aside.
3.Brown carrot and onion in skillet and transfer to stoneware. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in flour, add broth, and mix well.
4.Add beef and bacon to stoneware, mix, and place in slow cooker heating base.
5.Add wine, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaf, onions, and mushrooms. Cover; cook on Low for 10-12 hours or on High for 5-6 hours.

No comments: